Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Musical Jews

The following thought is completely unrelated to the subject of Jews, but I just want to throw it in.  I wonder if sporting events qualify as religious experiences.  I went to a Saint's game in Dallas and I have NEVER heard more "Please God"s, more "Goddammit"s, or more "Lord/Jesus"s at any church in all my life.  I didn't find or feel closer to God on that day, but in fairness, I didn't when I went to Jewish Temple either.  Mostly for the same reason:  I don't understand football, and I don't understand a word of Hebrew.


That said, I thoroughly enjoyed my time at temple.  Everything I know of Jewish practices and services could hardly fill a yarmulke, but what I didn't know made it, well, FUN.  Speaking of yarmulke (the little contact-lens shaped hat worn by the males), this one kid at temple had one that was disguised as an actual baseball.  Awesome!  It seems like the equivalent of a Muslim woman's hi jab being airbrushed to look like a mess of hair.  But maybe I'm reading too much into it.  Hip head coverings. Tee hee. 


But seriously, what was so enjoyable about that service was that nearly the whole thing was conducted in prayer songs.  Albeit, prayer songs I didn't understand.  I was obviously extremely overcome with awe that everyone, even the younger children, knew how to pronounce all these words I've never seen with letter patterns that were totally foreign and knew the medley to songs that seemed to have no medley.  And the rabbi played GUITAR the whole time!!! Anyone who knows me knows how much I love live music, especially of an acoustic nature so I was having a ball.  The only problem is that I had absolutely no emotional connection to the service whereas with the other services I've attended I felt a range of emotions (peace, sadness, love, etc). 


I had an interesting conversation with my Jewish friend about this and she actually agreed.  She said they all know the words because they are taught to memorize them when they're very young, but they have no idea what they're actually saying or praying for.  From an academic/sociological/theological perspective, I'm very curious to learn more about their faith and worship. I wouldn't mind going back to another service, but let's face it.  I'll never be a Jew.  My momma is a Cajun and being denied Jewship even once would hurt my feelings and I wouldn't go back.  However, I hope to have more experiences like this.  It was part of my journey and also a clear reminder that there are so many different faiths that one person holds on to just as passionately and dearly as the next.  What will it be like when I find mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment